Wrinkles Around The Mouth
As you age, you will find wrinkles appearing in different areas of your face like the forehead, below the eyes, between eyebrows and wrinkles around your mouth. While everyone eventually gets these, unfortunately us women are more prone to developing wrinkles around the mouth because our skin structure in that region is different from that of men. Like most of the other wrinkles, wrinkles around the mouth, also called perioral wrinkles, are caused by age, genetics, sun exposure and smoking.
There are 3 types of lines that develop around the mouth:
- Smile Lines (nasolabial lines) – These are those lines that run from the bottom of your nose to the corners of your mouth. These can be seen more prominently in women, especially as they age.
- Marionette lines – If you feel that your face looks sadder or angrier than it used to, it’s likely because of something called marionette lines. These are the vertical wrinkles that can be found at the corners of your mouth. These lines can give the face a down turned expression and make you look serious, or worse, angry, even when you are relaxed.
- Vertical lip lines – Wrinkles around lips are mostly caused by the regular lip movements and hence are unavoidable. They are also called smokers lines, because regular smoking, both due to the harmful effects of smoking and also pressing the lips together when you smoke is a big factor in the appearance of these lines. Waxing and threading your upper lip can also be a contributing factor for these lines, although not as serious as smoking.
Prevention – In order to prevent these wrinkles around mouth you need to quit smoking, if you currently are. Apart from that, you can try wrinkle fighting lip treatments. All the other methods that prevent wrinkles in general can be used for the perioral wrinkles. You can make the biggest dent by using sunscreen, moisturizers and skin creams that help stimulate collagen production.
Treatment – Once you get wrinkles around your mouth, there is no way to eliminate them except to treat them before they get worse. Some of the methods to get rid of the perioral lines are –
- Topical creams – Creams like retinol or retinoid thicken the deeper layers of the skin and thin out the superficial layers. This relaxes the marionette lines and makes them smoother. Also, products with alpha-hydroxy acid can help soften the wrinkles.
- Dermabrasion and chemical peeling – In both of these methods, the upper layer of the skin is removed for a new layer to grow. They work well with the perioral wrinkles, although it can be a bit painful.
- Face-lift – This is the ultimate answer to all kinds of wrinkles around the mouth and it can make you look years younger. If you feel like nothing else is working, you can resort to this step.
- Botox and fillers – Botox is a good and less expensive option for paralyzing the muscles around your mouth. Another effective way is using dermal fillers like Restylane.
Apart from these methods, there are different forms of laser treatments that can also be used. Wrinkles around mouth are probably the biggest reason you look older than you are and the problem is that, they are very easily produced. Every time you make an expression, you are helping create more folds and grooves around your mouth.